What is Zombie Zen?
Welcome to Ross Light’s website, Zombie Zen.
You may notice this website has little to do with the undead and even less to do with Buddhism. This is intentional: Zombie Zen reflects a peaceful balance between the zany and the cerebral.
Who is Ross Light?
I am an artist: my primary medium is programming. I strive to create software in a variety of fields that is good, useful, and interesting. Much of the software in the world is complicated and not designed well — my mission is making software that is intuitive and beneficial to humanity.
My pronouns are they/them.
I have over a decade of experience in the software industry
at companies large and small,
with a focus on developer productivity.
I maintain the Go library
and I have contributed to many other libraries in the open source ecosystem.
I am available for consulting or contracting work! Contact me at email@example.com if you are interested.
Examples of areas I can consult in include:
- Technical support across any of my open source projects
- Advice on structuring Go programs
- Build system and developer tooling advice for Go or Nix
- Setting up resources on Google Cloud (including with Terraform)
- Career advice for junior to senior engineers
- Coaching for handling an engineering team structuring problem
For contract work, I have experience in:
- Backends in Go, Python, Java, Rust, and Ruby
- Frontend with TypeScript or Dart (and specific experience with React, Flutter, Angular, jQuery, and Hotwire)
- Build systems like Bazel, Nix, GitHub Actions, Buildkite, and Make
- Database systems like PostgreSQL, SQLite, and Redis
- Cloud technologies like Docker, Terraform, Kubernetes, and Nomad
- Understanding of both AWS and Google Cloud Platform